Monday, October 12, 2015

The Plan......well maybe just the first step

After the initial cleaning, setup and opening the campground for business it was time for some of the partners to exit stage left and head back to our prospective homes and jobs leaving my husband to manage the campground during the initial soft opening period between mid-August  to November 1, 2014.  As for me besides going back to work this was the beginning of a 1 year packing and purging project to breakdown a home of 28 years, to load up into containers and ship to North Carolina.......
 
After 40 years of marriage I now understand the trials and tribulations of wives who husbands are shipped abroad or on the road working for months at a time.....I DON'T LIKE IT!!!  We valued each evening when I came home, ate dinner (by myself) and then we would pickup the phone and call each other. 
These were our planning times for the next step in this adventure which would be preparing for the move to North Carolina. They were also times to share our days and events which I think we took for granted when my husband was home.  We had all the opportunity in the world to talk and just sat either watching TV or reading our perspective books......We really didn't have a clue as to when this move would happen, we needed to do a lot of work around the house to get it ready to put on the market and we also needed to find that house that met our needs, one of which was being near the campground.  We also need to find something at a price we could afford since we knew the campground needed sometime to re-establish itself and once I moved up their I would certainly have to look for a new job.
We knew that it would have to be a finely orchestrated process because selling a home will depend on the market at the time you are ready to list it and finding a new home within the same timeframe......the challenge seems to be more daunting the more I thought about it.......
 
This was also a time that I learned a lot about being self-sufficient.  I don't proclaim that I could do major or even minor home repairs for that matter but I had to learn things such as how to use a riding lawn mower......ok some will say "WHAT!" but it's true I can push a lawn mower from here to kingdom come but the riding lawn mower was a challenge.  My husband initially showed me the basics and then it was my turn to get on and meet the challenge head on.  The one thing that I learned initially was to make my husband go in the house after he showed me what to do........talk about a micro manager, I told him that once he leaves I'm going to cut the lawn any way, shape or form that suits me so there was no point in playing traffic cop.....I also took charge of other duties that were previously performed by my husband and so this was life until he closed the campground for the winter and came back home.......

No comments:

Post a Comment